Thursday, March 25, 2010

Baptism

I'm trying to give this blog the love it deserves but it's so hard. Not only did Lizza turn 8 but she was baptized. It was such a wonderful weekend. In January Liz and I started looking for baptism dresses. I want to throw in here that I do not like the trend to wear a white dress after your baptism. I think, who wants to wear all white and what mom wants to have the responsibility of cleaning a fancy all white dress? (Can you tell I have laundry issues? Another day another post). Anyway, so I gave it my best effort to talk her into just getting a new dress. One you will wear all year round but it was a no go. Abby got a white dress (true and I wasn't happy about it back then either and she has only worn that dress twice, I rest my point). But Lizza NEEDED a white dress. Okay you can wear Abby's right? All girls wore the same blessing dress they can all wear the same baptism dress-brilliant. Lizza would have none of it. I wish you could see me act her out right now. You'll just have to imagine and read the words.-sorry. "I CANNOT show up in that dress. That dress is not me, it does not say Elizabeth. I won't wear it! If I wear that dress it will make me feel like this (she slumps over head down) and I need to feel like this (chest our head high) on my baptism day." So I debate in my head do I, don't I. I can totally pull the money card-they hear it all the time. But I think whats $20 to buy her happiness? I will take pictures and hang them around so she always remembers that she got to pick her own baptism dress. So then we start our search. I go to ebay so I only have to spend like $20 and not $65! So from here it got bad, real bad. Lizza likes to look "fashionable" her word not mine. She mix matches clothes and asks me if they look "fashionable" on a regular basis. So we start looking at dresses and the gloves come off. This pictures (it's the only one I could find quickly) gives you a taste of what she wanted. Her strong hold (which I can't find a pictures of right now) was a white dress that looked just like the dress Belle wears in beauty and the beast-"with a jacket of course" she tells me to console me. I just kept saying I just can't buy that Elizabeth. Your getting baptized and your 8 not getting married and you 26! This went on for weeks! I kept debating in my head buy her happiness keep my sanity? So we finally compromised. She found this dress during our many ebay searches and just knew it was the one! Plus it came with a jacket we wouldn't have to buy one separately-perfect. She looked beautiful and buying Lizza's happiness....priceless. It came from Hong-Kong and arrived 3 days before the baptism! They even threw in a free hello kitty headband-can't beat that!
The first picture give you a taste of what I was up against.
The 2nd is her dress obviously. I need to take some more pictures of her because there aren't any that explain that dress to see it in person.
3rd, is always my favorite pictures of baptism day
4th thank you family for coming to Lizza's special day and making her feel like this(head up chest out) in her new dress! We loved having all of you and missed those who couldn't make it.

1 comments:

Kirst said...

Wow what a day. I just have to laugh because I hear stories and I see the similarities between you and your kids:)