Thursday, August 6, 2009

still more Vietnam Hoi An

I have to get this done. Just remember it was 10 days of travel! We flew to Hoi An next. It was the tailor shop place. If you wanted something made this was the place to go. I don't know if Daren and I were just tired here but we were not interested at all. We had some ties made and a matching tie for Daren and Max and that was it. The ladies here were so pushy. they would actually grab your arm and try to pull you into their shop. As you walked down the street you hear hello you buy here come look. We just weren't interested. We walked around a lot. I would say aside from the ship this was my favorite food place. We saw a Japanese covered bridge, I'm not sure why it was such a big deal but it was so we went and saw it. Our hotel,the Ha An was fantastic. They had free bikes you could ride. Well we couldn't pass that up right? So we rode to the beach which was 6 Km away I think. it was a fun ride on the streets of Vietnam. So the first night at China Beach we arrive just as a storm is arriving. We decided to beat the storm home. We didn't, and it was crazy! It was raining so hard I don't know if I've ever seen anything like it. Just sheets. So we are just peddling hard and we pass these boys sharing a bike. As we pass I see them look up at us and then at each other and in a minute or two they race past us. So we pass them and next they speed by both peddling and yell lets go! Well Daren doesn't back down from good old competition so he starts racing them. I think I pass once more and then I just try to stay close. They finally gave up on us. But it was fun. We were soaked when we got back. I rang my shirt out and there was a huge puddle on the floor. But memorable. So we went to My Son, Which is Vietnam's most elaborate archaeological site. It was neat to see. It was the headquarters for the viet cong during the war so it was a free fire zone for the US during the war. So you could see huge bomb craters scattered around. 70 monuments were destroyed but it was still incredible. The underbrush is so thick and invasive I cannot imagine having to walk Thur it looking for the viet cong. You couldn't just walk you would be cutting down vines and greenery every step you took. It was beautiful though. The streets of Hoi An

After the bike ride in the rain. Still raining.
My Son
In the streets you could buy anything
so this section sold fish and up a little
ways under blue tarps produce
was being sold. It smelled this
something I cannot describe. But
it was interesting to walk past and
see all the different fish and sea creatures
that were being sold, which means someone
was eating them.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

When I lived in San Diego, the grocery store in our area was a Vietnamese store called the Vien Dong. We could smell it any time we were a few blocks in range. Even in the car. I can only imagine what the open market was like. It sounds like you guys had such a great time!