Tuesday, November 4, 2008

HALLOWEEN

I just need to get this out there. The wording is pretty strong and maybe I should cut back but I hate Halloween. Now I know any of you who knew me as a child are shocked right now and thinking I have finally taken that step over the edge of my life as you knew it and have turned into that grumpy adult we all avoided being around. Well I can tell you the good part first. I truly enjoyed walking around our neighborhood and seeing and talking to all of our neighbors. Most don't have small children any more and they were all thrilled to see little kids in costume. They were very kind to us and that was fun. I wish we could come up with more holidays where I could go around and talk to all of them. That said even as we were walking around I was thinking why are we doing this! We just went to our trunk-or-treat for our ward and now we are continuing to collect candy. Do we each need a bag full of candy, seriously?
To settle my nerves just a little(though I still think it is stupid that they are getting something for their candy) we have found a "good witch" who comes to our home Halloween night. So they get to pick out 20 pieces of candy (crazy amount still) and they leave the rest on our back step for the good witch. She in return leaves them a book. At least, so far that is what we have gotten. Everyone so far loves her and is excited to participate. If she ever gets uninvited to our house I don't know what we'll do. Someone just told me you can dry-pack can your candy and it stays fresh. Maybe that will me my next step.
I was focusing so much on not being late for the trunk-or-treat that I forgot to take a group shot before we left. So here are just some snap shots of the night to help you get a feel for it. Max knew exactly how this worked. Before we even left the house we took is little haunted house box (meg made it for him) to Daren and said, candy, sucker,sucker, sucker, sucker, sucker until Daren put something in is box. He thought it was the best day of his life. Every piece of candy that went into his box he had to take out and just handle for a minute. On the drive home he kept saying candy please candy please! So cute and he said please which is still getting ingrained in him so I have to give him the candy right? He still keeps finding the girls candy bags and getting into them.
My sweet Lizza put her candy in a bowl on Saturday because some of our cousins came over (both younger than her) and some neighbors and took it out to her "fort" she was building. Partly I think that is was got the little kids to come out and that is what kept them there but she can be so giving. So everyone ate her candy on Saturday and she hasn't complained as Meg and Abby keep pulling out little pieces to eat. Of course Meg has shared some of hers with Liz because that is what Meg does.
Abby was a vampire
Lizza was Gabriella from High School Musical. She insisted that she had to have a brown wig or nobody would know who she was. (Even though the dress says HSM) on the front.) So I got a very cheap on half off at Shopko. She wore it for maybe 5 minutes and then took it off. Oh well at least she felt good about her self right?
Meg was a lady bug
Max was our standard 18 month elephant that every child has been. But still cute.
CANDY!!!!!
Meg and her "best" friend Madison/strawberry shortcake
Max and his buddy Quinn
trick or treating our neighborhood.
Halloween is over and we are on to bigger and better things. We are going to Disneyland this month YAHOO! We are all excited and planning what we want to do. We have also started talking about what we are grateful for. We do have so much to be grateful for I hope I am teaching my children to see all the goodness around us and to have a grateful heart.

6 comments:

mandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mandy said...

I made some typos in the last one so here is the better version. Juls, sounds like you have some issues to work out between you and Halloween. We had some good Halloweens and are all relatively healthy and still have all our teeth. :)
Your girls are adorable as always and little max's costume is cute. It looks like is good for at least another child or two--hint--hint
;-)

Lori said...

I finally made it over here to your blog. Good to see you... even if it is through the computer. What a family. You wasted no time at all. :)

Serenity said...

Hey Julie! I had to get my blog fix too :)I feel the same way about Halloween. Love it and Hate it. Brecken is eating about two pieces of candy a day... I think it'll last at least a year! I like the good witch idea. So I didn't know you were going to Disneyland! Congrats :) I hope you have a ton of fun!!!

Kirst said...

Yes I am shocked. Especially since on Halloween, I was telling my friend how you would go never want to stop and then we had to hide your candy from your parents. Oh grumpy.

Sarah said...

Hi Julie! Madison was missing her Wallace friends today so I pulled up your blog so she could look at the pictures. She was so excited to see the picture of her and Meg at Halloween. Hope you're having fun in Disneyland!